Feeling Down? Five Quick Ways to Raise Your Mood
Wendy Mason is a Career Coach and Life Coach helping you to solve difficult problems at home and at work
We all have grey days when we feel down. I’m not talking here about on-going low moods when we may need the support of a coach, counsellor or clinician. No, these are the days when you just wake up feeling low for no very good reason at all.
Try these tips to give you a boost and get you feeling positive again.
· Start moving. 10 minutes dancing to a lively tune can do wonders. But if dancing in front of your bedroom mirror doesn’t appeal, how about going for a brisk walk in your local park or simply doing some stretching exercises?
· Do something for someone else. You would be surprised how good doing a good turn makes us feel. So, how about doing some shopping for an elderly neighbour? Even just smiling at people can make you feel better. You’ll be surprised how many people smile back.
· Reconnect with a friend. Go through your address book and find someone you really like but haven’t spoken to for a while. Then ring them. They will be delighted to hear from you and that will make you feel good.
· Treat yourself. Have a little of what you really fancy. It might be your favourite food or a favourite movie. Go for what you really like, not what you think you should like – make it special!.
· Find yourself a quiet, comfortable spot. Sit down, take some deep, gentle, breaths and reconnect with yourself. Feel the air on your skin and hear the sounds about you. Focus on one small thing nearby and really see it for the first time. Concentrate on the here and now and your own special place in the universe.
Try these tips and see which works for you. If all else fails, get in touch. It might be time to start working with a coach on how to feel positive again.