Finding your quiet place!
Lots of us have one already – a quiet place that we like to visit or at the very least remember. It can be a great source of solace when times are hard. Or simply when things are a bit fraught.
But do you know that your quiet place doesn't have to be out there? It can just as easily be inside you if you take the time to find it. And once found, of course, it becomes completely portable. You can take it with as you travel about your busy life.
To find your quiet place you need first to find a somewhere to do the work. Find a room or open space that feels safe for you. Sit comfortably. Now follow these simple steps.
· Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth slowly.
· Fill up the whole of your lungs with air, without forcing.
· Imagine you're filling up a bottle, so that your lungs fill from the bottom.
· Breathe in slowly and regularly counting from one to five (don’t worry if you can’t reach five at first).
· Then let the breath escape slowly, counting from one to five.
· Keep doing this until you feel calm.
· Breathe without pausing or holding your breath.
While you are doing this concentrate completely on your breathing – let the thought of your breath fill you heart and mind completely!
Once you are relaxed, rest there in the peace and silence for a little while. You have found your quiet place.
The more you practice the easier it will become to go to your quiet place. And, with practice, you will find you can go there easily wherever your body happens to be at the time.
Enjoy, we all need our own, private, quiet place.